With our latest launch of the Adobe Creative Cloud, many IT Administrators are starting to pondering upon deployment issues and methods. And yes, Adobe has done it again. Thanks to Mr Karl Gibson, our Product Manager for Enterprise Tools 🙂
Adobe Creative Cloud for Team is a pretty awesome offering. You get all of Adobe’s applications, you get new feature bearing updates, shared storage, folder syncing & lots of other cool stuff.
However before now there was no great way to deploy the products to systems where users were not administrators. Our workaround was that you should download CS6 Master Collection from our FTP Server and package with AAMEE 3.1 but this was certainly not ideal and not what AAMEE was designed for. So the team who brought you AAMEE is bringing you The Creative Cloud Packager a brand new tool which will in it’s first iteration allow you, as an administrator for a CC Team to download directly from the application all of the Creative Cloud Products & Updates (regular and feature), define custom installation behaviour and at the end have a native MSI or PKG that you use with your deployment tool to install on all machines you manage. Now just in case you missed that, this means no separate media download. (HooHaahhh…. Time Savers especially efficient for use in our part of the world in SEA)
Some key points to take note of. If you have used the AAMEE workaround up till now you can still use CCP from now on.
- CCP caches to a location of your choice and so if the applications and updates have not changed then you do not need to download the same bits again and again thus saving you some time.
- CCP can be used to create an update only package by just selecting updates.
- CCP produces an msi file for Windows which is also accompanied with a Setup.exe that can be used for manual execution on a single system basis, rather than deployment. The Mac pkg can also be double clicked.
- There is a new version of Adobe Update Server Setup Tool 3.0 (AUSST) included with CCP. This has been changed from python to C++ and has significant benefits such as
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to perform initial and subsequent syncs
-Ability to set up cron jobs for automatic syncing and updating of repository
- Remote Update Manager (RUM) is also now included in the package and copied to the client by default although this can be changed if you wish
This tool is live today and will be available to Creative Cloud Team administrators from the Team admin portal.
Here is a screen shot (not a mockup) of Creative Cloud Packager. CCP is something that will be evolving and we have some pretty awesome plans for it, so stay tuned !!
*Update 09/04/13 Included image of where you will find Creative Cloud Packager on the admin portal when you sign in with admin account*